Search This Blog

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Summer Reading Suggestions

Looking for a summer reading suggestion? How about Dave Zobel's The Science of  TV's the Big Bang Theory: Explanations Even Penny Would Understand? Zobel explains the scientific principles featured in conversations on the #1 most popular scripted television show.

And if that isn't a reason to read it, how about this? There's a poem in it, and it's by me. How did that happen, you wonder? Well, I'm a Caltech alum. Really. I have a degree from there. Really. See page 91-2, where you can read the poem "In Praise of Imperfect Love" from The Insomniac's Weather Report. Really.

And if that book isn't entirely up your alley, how about Tracy Slater's The Good Shufu: Finding Love, Self, and Home on the Far Side of the World. This one's about an academic from Boston who falls in love with a Japanese salaryman and ends up moving to Osaka to marry him. Not only is this book written by a charming narrator, but it also includes information on coping with infertility in a foreign country.

Guess what? I'm in this book too. Really. Tracy is one of my closest friends in Japan. But that doesn't mean I'm recommending her book solely out of loyalty. If you don't believe me, believe Barnes & Noble who named The Good Shufu a Discover Great New Writers for Summer 2015 pick! Really.





No comments: